Owen had his first big injury on Monday. He fell off his swing onto his mouth, and his front teeth were pushed backward, and lips were roughed up pretty bad. It looked like his teeth had scraped their impression into his lips.
“Don’t swing with your hands in your coat pockets.” is not a something I thought to say as I went inside to grab his mittens from the mudroom. From what we’ve gathered, that is exactly what he did. Since he swings on his stomach, he went right over the swing onto his teeth. As I came out the backdoor, he was coming up the hill with blood pouring from his mouth. After picking him up and getting him inside, he did not want to be touched let alone let me look in his mouth. So I got him a wet towel to hold on his lips, and I was finally able to see his teeth. I said “Owen do your teeth feel loose?” and he sobbed “Yes they are loose and crooked!!”
After an emergency trip to the dentist that involved a lot of tears and screaming, we learned that we don’t do anything except give him tylenol, advil, and time. The teeth may darken, but they shouldn’t fall out or need to be removed, and hopefully they will move back into place.
As of 3/1: His lips are healed, but his gums are still swollen and purple. He said it still hurts really bad, but he is asking for medicine much less, and finally slept through the night again. He drools a lot and talks like he just got braces.
Here you can kind of see the angle at which they are pushed back.
Big day today- Owen made it all day without Tylenol or Advil! He even said tonight that they are feeling a lot better. Yay!
ReplyDelete